Wednesday, April 23, 2008

April 23rd in Germany

This picture is misleading. Click on it for a better view. Yes, it is a 'benzine' station but let me translate.

The 1.44 represents 1 and 44 euro per liter. 3.79 liters equals one gallon (US). So for a gallon of gas it is 5.46 euro. The exchange rate for the dollar and euro is $1.58. 5.46 times 1.58 gives me $8 dollars and 62 cents. A picture is worth a thousand words. $3.50 for a tank of gas looks real good from here.


My German colleague had me as a guest in his house for dinner.This is a picture of him and his wife. I met his wife and two daughters. The girls are 14 and 12. They were shy but I knew their english was good. So I said to the oldest, if I speak in German will you say the same thing in English? She said yes. I said "I kann nicht Deutsch sprechen."



The young woman looked at me and said in flawless English: Do you want me to say 'I cannot speak English or I cannot speak German?' I forgot it is better to know my place than to be put in it.

And at least two times this week, I have been approached and a person would start asking me a question in German. All I could do is look at them and say in English, 'I'm sorry.' They would just walk away without trying English.

Our training group went out to dinner tonight to the Einhorn restaurant. It has a wine cellar with this sign that says: 'Our wine cellar is 700 years old and becomes each day one day older!!'


You can look at my Facebook space for more pictures.

I only have 1,885 pictures left to take. I wonder.........

1 Comments:

Blogger KMiV said...

I remember our conversation a couple weeks ago about how the Germans feel about Americans--especially those who don't speak German.

April 27, 2008 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home